Image Map

Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Wild West: A Modern Frontier

I have been vacationing in Jackson Hole, WY ever since I was a little girl. Summers were spent hiking, swimming and riding horses. Winters filled with skiing, crackling fires and hot cocoa. 
We've always stayed in beautiful, quaint Teton Village, nestled at the base of the Teton Mountain Range. It’s still beautiful, but it’s no longer quaint. Charming old hotels have been replaced with multi-story hotels. Even the old, shingled clock tower (above) has been replaced with a modern steel one. Thousands of lush acres, with roaming cattle is now a golf course and custom home lots. Whether I like it or not, it’s changing. But change can be good, right?

This past weekend my husband and I were staying in Teton Village and we marveled at all the changes. As we walked through the new community of custom homes and instead of being sad, I became excited. The designer in me took over and I began to appreciate the design and architecture of these new homes. I quickly imagined how I would have designed their interiors. My mind ran wild.

I wanted to share some of my favorites with you. I apologize for the photos, the sun was setting and clouds blocked what little light remained. 

House 1, side view. 

House 1, from entrance. 

House 2.

House 2, from back.





House 3, view 1. Notice the glass rotunda, where you can see through to the golf course.

House 3, view 2. 


House 3, cabin. This house actually had two smaller cabins on it’s property. They were charming and pint sized.

House 4. The last house on our tour is the most modern. Part of the house was still under construction,  so you only get to see the front of the house, whose windows have the most spectacular view of the mountain and ski runs.
I was inspired by these homes and the architects and designers who brought them to life. It’s fascinating to see each one’s interpretation of the modern, western home. 

No comments :

Post a Comment